This started out as a kick ass role playing game initially designed by Nick and played out in character by Jeff, Tony, Duane, Eric, Nate, Michael and previously by Zak and Justin.


Now, I plan to update this blog as I strive to complete the adventure in book form that will one day be published.

Also: Head over to Deviant Art to check out more of Duane's art - and encourage him to do more EIN related stuff!

Moons of the Solar System

Moons of the Solar System
New Colonies with Gate Markers

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

MICE



From Orson Scott Card: pg 76 - 83

The Milieu Story – Focusing on the world as set for the transformation about to take place in the main character – the journey place to escape from or go back home from ; told by a stranger since everything is new.

Starting point: when he she arrives
Ending point: when they leave


The Idea Story – Finding out a problem or a main issue that we do not know or are not aware of and learn this throughout the story. Common is detective stories.  A question is raised and the people need to find out or…

Starting point: as close to the raising of the main question
Ending point: when they find out what was going on


The Character Story – the effects of change in characters; their transformation and process throughout the story. 

Starting point: at the point when the main character becomes so unhappy impatient or angry in their present role that they begin the process of change.
Ending point: when they either settle into the new role or give up and remain in the old one

Note – we need to know what characters are changing from but writers need to give a sense of direction very early for the reader to understand why they are reading this.


The Event Story – Here, something is wrong with the world; it is out of order and it needs to be set right.

Starting point: not when it becomes chaotic, but at the point where the character whose actions are most crucial to establishing the new order becomes involved in the struggle.
Ending point: when the new order is established, or when the old order is restored or when there really is chaos.

Note – don’t write a prologue!




Currently, I am heading towards Keper’s transformation process, which is the Character Story, but I am nervous about this. 

I could try to rework the story into an Event story BEFORE the Exodus and make it into a ‘save the world’ process, but I worry about this too.

Yes, I will worry about anything.

However, I am not sure where Keper is to transform into what exactly?  And thus I am stuck on the direction of the novel.  I have a feeling I should have a clear ending in sight at least and then if it gets sidetracked due to the writing, then that is ok.

With the pre exodus story, there is a whole background that could be mined and that is the reason for the need of Messiahs.  However, the time line is not good – it is too long.  Conrad was a main character all through the stories but he is older now and writing by skipping 20 or so years at a pop is unsatisfying (at least to me).

With the 2129 start date, at least we have a shorter time frame of breakage to occur, condensing the action and story.

But what is the main point?


No comments: